Monday, April 13, 2009

Writing exercises

Okay so today marks a couple of things.

I am staking a claim on my creativity. I am going to develop it. I am going to stop feeling so stagnant all the time.

I am going to WRITE again!!!

For me, this is a huge deal. I used to write every day. I used to LOVE writing. I used to lose myself in it for hours upon hours.

But I haven't written anything worthwhile in a very, very long time. And I really want to get a move on. I am still waiting for that genius idea to come to me, but someday, it will and I will be ready.

SO I've started doing writing exercises. Every day. Just like going to the gym, only for my creative mind... for my creative SOUL.

The first one I did yesterday was list 31 simple pleasures. Now every day I write about one of them for FIVE minutes.

Starting tomorrow.

Here are my 31 simple pleasures:

1) Smelling summertime
2) Driving with good music & the sunroof open
3) Getting off work early for an afternoon
4) When my apartment is tidy
5) Reading a good, long book
6) Waking up to the smell of coffee
7) An ice cream truck that drives by when it’s hot
8) Sitting in the sunshine
9) Bike-riding along the beach
10) Coming across a small amount of ‘found money’
11) Smores
12) Getting into bed when my sheets are freshly washed
13) Roadtrips
14) Getting letters in the mail
15) Dreams in which you feel loved
16) Dreaming and not having to wake up
17) Writing something that comes out easily & is truly fulfilling
18) Relating to a song so much that it scares you
19) Seeing live music that you love
20) Watching a movie you love over and over
21) Hearing a song that makes you relax
22) Getting a commending email
23) My nephew telling me he loves me
24) A glass of wine
25) A long, warm shower
26) The first day you no longer need to wear a winter coat
27) The first snowfall
28) The autumn time
29) Having coffee and reading
30) Feeling secure
31) Getting a much-needed hug


SO now that I've gotten those, starting tomorrow I will write about one of them EVERY day for a month. If I miss a day here or there, I will make it up, I promise. But I WILL do this! I need to .

Also - I am going to do character development writing exercises. Because characters are the heart of stories, and I need to develop a good one. I WILL write again, and it WILL be something worth reading!! It will be a struggle but I can do this and I need to do this for my own sanity!!!!!

No comments: